The Teatro Civico is located in the historical center of Norcia, in Piazza Vittorio Veneto, at a short distance from Corso Sertorio.
The Theater was built in 1876, on a design of the Perugian Domenico Mollajoli, which foresaw a horseshoe-shaped audience hall with three overlooking orders of boxes and a loggia.
The inauguration took place on 15 August 1876, with the execution of “Un ballo in maschera”—A Masked Ball—of Giuseppe Verdi. On this occasion, in order to pay for the organization of the event, the municipal administration deliberated to borrow 15.000 Lire. The stage curtain was executed by the Venetian G. Zasso and had as its subject Quintus Sertorius on a Battlefield in Africa. The building underwent some restoration work in 1950, but unfortunately, after only two years of existence, a fire destroyed it—and with it—the curtain was lost too. After a long period of restoration work, concluded in 1995, the Theater has returned to a new life and is functioning perfectly.
In the archives of the Archivio Storico Comunale di Norcia it is possible to consult the important documents, maps and the designs of the different phases of construction of the Theater.
- Find it at