The Galleria d’arte contemporanea Pro Civitate Christiana is located right in the historical center of the town of Assisi, in Borgo San Pietro, a few minutes walking distance from Piazza del Comune and the Basilicas of San Francesco and Santa Chiara.
Reopened to the public in 2005, the Gallery is hosted by the Pro Civitate Cristiana, an association of laics founded in 1939 by Father Giovanni Rossi. Its purpose was that of promoting catholic culture in contemporary society.
The first nucleus of the collection exhibits the works that were part of Personal Exhibitions of Christian Art during the aftermath of the Second World War. Later, initiatives such as a number of commissions dedicated to the Iconography of Jesus as The Divine Worker, several public contests among artists and students of Fine Art Academies, as well as prizes-purchases established in national scale events—for works with Christ as a subject—have consistently expanded the number of works that are now part of the collection. Many outstanding works by painters such as De Chirico, Dottori, Carrà, Rosai, Tozzi, Menzio, Sassu, Fabbri, Pirandello and Greco, as well as the American artist William Congdon, to whom an entire section is dedicated, are part of it.
The collection also includes Afro-Asiatic works of art, medals, bronzes, stained glass, mosaics and a rare series of 58 etchings dedicated to the Miserere by Georges Rouault.
- Find it at