The collections of the Museo della Maiolica a Lustro are housed on the first floor of the medieval tower of Porta Romana, near the Church of Sant’Agostino in Gubbio. The tower was built as a defensive post for one of the ancient entrances in town.
The Museum displays the different phases of the traditional production of tin-glazed ceramics and preserves important work samples of the Master Giorgio Andreoli.
Consistent with the important local ceramic tradition, the collection includes works dating from the 16th century to the 1950s. The Plate representing St Anthony from Padua dated 1531 and signed, on both sides, by the Master Giorgio Andreoli is among these. Andreoli was active in Gubbio between 1495 and 1555, and was among the first artists in Italy to adopt the Luster, a peculiar technique coming from the Islamic world that gives to the surface of earthenware—majolica—the iridescent of ruby-red—typical of the production in Gubbio—yellow, green and golden reflexes.