A collection of objects made with poor raw material: clay and water fire-cooked, deeply rooted activity in Umbria and Marsciano. This is the theme proposed by the Museo dinamico del laterizio e delle terracotte (Dynamic museum of brickworks and terracotta), that is a real cultural challenge.
Palazzo Pietromarchi, noble residence built in the 14th century by the family of the Bulgarelli counts of Marsciano, holds an extensive collection of bricks, dating from Roman times up to the present, as well as decorative terracottas and pottery for everyday use. The exhibition in the centuries-old rooms of the building documents not only the social transformations related to brick-making, which played a significant role in the local economy, especially in the 16th century, but above all the industrial production techniques and the use of brick in contemporary architecture. The museum has now a new arrangement, as a place of collection, conservation and enhancement of the artistic and historical
heritage of this land, but also as a place of emotions, with videos and sounds telling stories about terracotta. The Museum can inspire visitors through a journey made of images, imagination and fantasy, in a refitted museum itinerary, in order to promote the large collection of earthenware and bricks, with multimedia technologies, virtual animations and a new graphic communication. The museum is divided into various sections: samples of bricks both handmade and industrially made, from ancient times to the present day; Etruscan grave goods; Etruscan-Roman pottery; architectural terracotta; glazed earthenware; the collection of large jars, the “set table”, “the hot kilns”, “the market”. The collection of terracotta objects is enriched by the collection of the works of Antonio Ranocchia (1915-1989), an artist from Marsciano famous throughout the world especially for his sculptures, mainly in terracotta, in which his strongly expressive style is evident. Lastly, the Palazzo also has on display a valuable fresco of a Madonna and Child Enthroned with Angels, St. Sylvester and St. Rocco by the school of Pinturicchio, dated around 1500, and a portrait of the Blessed Angelina of Montegiove of the Counts of Marsciano. The museum is set up as a starting point for a tour itinerary covering the entire Marsciano area, including the production sites in Compignano and San Fortunato, ancient kilns that documents the preindustrial production of bricks, as well as branch museums in Spina and Compignano, exhibition sites about the ancient traditions of this land.
- Find it at