Giuditta Brozzetti Artistic Hand-weaving Laboratory The Laboratorio di Tessitura Artistica a Mano Giuditta Brozzetti is located in Via Tiberio Bernardi, not far from Porta Sant’Angelo, in the city center of Perugia. It is hosted in the 13th century Church of San Francesco delle Donne, one of the oldest Franciscan Friar settlements in Italy. Raised where St Francis used to sojourn, it owes its name—Women’s Church of St Francis—to the fact that in 1252 the complex was handed over from the Friars to a community of Benedictine Nuns. The Laboratory was founded in 1921 by Giuditta Brozzetti, an outstanding representative of the entrepreneurship of women in the Umbrian capital. Today, her heirs maintain the tradition by producing hand made—with manual looms—fabrics and cloths decorated with medieval and Renaissance patterns. Among the preserved items in the laboratory are three traditional manual four-heddle-looms, which probably date from the 17th to the 19th century; eight Jacquard looms—Patented
by Vincenzi—and two 17th century looms for the weaving of the so-called “Punto Fiamma di Perugia” stitch, not counting designs and cardboards documenting the production of the Laboratory from its origins up to nowadays.