The Museo Lapidario in the town of Todi is housed in the Complesso delle Lucrezie, inside the former Church of San Giovanni Battista and the two edifices behind it. They are part of the Polo Museale Network of which the Lapidarium is the first section.
The Lucrezie Complex, located in the Nidola neighborhood, originated in the first half of the 15th century, when a noblewoman from Ancona’s Marches—old imperial administrative subdivision including the towns of Ancona, Camerino and Fermo—madonna Lucrezia della Genga endowed her sisters—in 1425—with an edifice along the wall of the town of Todi. The monastic seat, pertaining to the Franciscan Third Order, expanded rapidly in a few years with the acquisition of the adjacent buildings. However, the prosperity of the Monastery came to a halt before the economical crisis that occurred at the end of the 15th century, and degraded further after some landslides damaged the premises around 1760 and lastly with the Napoleonic laws of confiscations relating to the suppression of religious congregations in 1862. From the end of the First World War to 1987, the complex that had become Municipal property was used for disparate purposes, and in the context of the work of consolidation of the Cliff in Orvieto and the Hill in Todi, the entire structure was restructured by the effect of the law n. 545 of 1987.
The Lapidarium preserves stones from the ancient, medieval and modern age that belong to the municipality. They were found in town and in the surrounding areas and were moved around over the centuries to different locations, until 2008, when they were displayed in the current exhibit location. The Museum itinerary includes several sections organized in the chronological order of the items on display, starting from the Roman period on.