The Rubboli Museum, housed in the old premises of the factory dating back to the 1880s, stages an important collection of lustre majolicas of the Rubboli family ranging from 1878 to the 1960s, as well as some significant works by other major ceramic artists of the same period.
The Contemporary Tradition section includes some lustre works designed by some Italian designers and made by Rubboli on the occasion of the first Triennial of Contemporary Ceramic Art of Gualdo Tadino 2009.
The museum tour goes through four rooms explaining the production phases of the factory and the room of the muffles: ancient kilns dating back to 1884 used to obtain, using broom as fuel, the gold and ruby lustres.
The Rubboli muffles kilns are the same as those described by Cipriano Piccolpasso in his famous treatise The Three Books of the Potter’s Art (1558). According to the British scholar Alan Caiger-Smith, considered the leading expert on the lustre technique “The Rubboli muffle kiln is a modified version of Mastro Giorgio’s kiln, designed by Paolo Rubboli around 1870. It is probably the only example of this kind of lustre kiln remaining anywhere in the world”.